Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High Flows?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimpy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: High Flows? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to hit the SJ with my cousin from CA in June. Has anyone heard when the high flow is going to be?

Thanks,
Gimpy
Warren

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen any official dates. Best guess would be mid May to mid June with a one week ramp up and a one week ramp down. That would make the last week in May and the first week in June with the highest flow, usually at 5000 cfs.
DryFly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty reliable word has it that the most likely case scenario would be a ramp-up mid-May of one week, one week at 5,000cfs, and a last week of ramp down. That would put the high water conditions from mid-May to as late as mid-June, but that is not written in stone. Gimpy, I would schedule my trip as late in June as possible since the fishing tends to need a little time to recover after the high water. Last year was pretty miserable after the flush, contrary to what I've seen in the past, but that was the past where the 5,000cfs lasted for 3 weeks rather than just one. Have you thought about making your trip in early May instead? That can be some very, very nice fishing since the bug activity tends to increase and fish are looking up towards the surface more.....just sayin', guess because I'm a dry fly sorta guy! Smile Best of luck to you.

DryFly
KSFlyfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Am I hosed? Reply with quote

On my way to do a one day rim to rim Grand Canyon hike, I'd planned to spend the night at the SJ on 26 May. Wanted to fish the afternoon or arrival and morning of the next day.

Just read about the high water. Only been to the SJ twice, and it has been a long time.

Am I wasting my time being there on the 26th? I'm booked at Abe's for the night, but I can change the agenda.

Thanks
Warren

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest word is that the ramp-up will begin on May 14 to a high flow of 5000 cfs then a ramp-down to 500 cfs. May 26 will probably be in the 5000 cfs period. Unless you know the river well or intend on doing a float, the river is too dangerous to wade at that flow rate.
KSFlyfish

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Warren. Guess I'll cancel at Abe's. Any suggestions for an alternate location? I suppose I could push on to Lee's Ferry but that sounds like limited walk in fishing.

Not much of a trout guy - I guide for carp and wipers - but the GF will probably have me move to Utah after I retire in a few years, so I guess I need to get back into salmonids.

Thanks

Craig

www.flatslander.com
herefishy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the 26th will be the second day of 500 cfs, so could be great fishing - give it a try.
KSFlyfish

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they released the release plan? I can't find it on the BuRec web site. The alternative route and itinerary doesn't involve fishing, so a reasonably good shot at fishing is a better alternative. But I would like some assurance I won't be watching a river in whitewater conditions.

Craig
herefishy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the plan is still not set in stone - BOR says they are trying to match the flow on the Animas, and right now that looks like it will be starting up on the 14th, but if there is a cold snap, which looks conceivable, they will set that date back a bit. If there is a change, it will be by the 7th. If it starts on the 14th, it will be back down by the 26th.
Warren

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom

Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts Re: Spring Release Info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 24, 2012 - BOR Flow Schedule for Spring Runoff - Today the BOR (Bureau of Reclamation) announced changes in flow for the San Juan spring runoff. The flow will be gradually increased beginning May 13, 2012 and will reach 5,000 cfs on May 16, 2012. The flow will remain at 5,000 cfs from May 16, 2012 through May 22, 2012 and will begin ramping back down beginning May 23 through May 25. After ramping down the flow will be at either 500 cfs or 1000 cfs depending on flow from the Animas. If the Animas is low, the San Juan will run at higher flows to make up the difference.

End of Day release schedule for Navajo Dam

May 13

May 14

May 15

May 16

May 17

May 18

May 19

May 20

May 21

May 22

May 23

May 24

May 25

KSFlyfish

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber. "So you're telling me there's a chance?"

Guess I'll keep my reservation at Abe's. Worst case the girlfriend and I do some hiking along the high river.

Craig
Bul Head

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try walking that bank with a spinning rod and throw a BIG weighted streamer.
You'll be surprised what chases it.
FlyFishGuy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: High flows have begun Reply with quote

Looks like the higflow ramp up began about 3 this morning and the flow is up to 1180cfs at this moment in time.
I like the suggestion of the big streamers on a spin rod. Maybe I won't snap another rod at 5000cfs.
copterdoc

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: High flows Reply with quote

Hello,

Just to give everyone an update on how the river has been with the increased flows. I went out on Friday the 18th and the water levels and flows were high, but the fishing was still good. On Monday the 21st I went out again the water levels were crazy high and the amount of moss and debris floating in the water made it almost impossible to midge fish, every retrieve came with hooks full of moss. The water visibility is poor, it is very murky. Memorial Day fisherman be careful wading and good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: