Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it fly fishing or live bait?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Is it fly fishing or live bait? Reply with quote

I fished the San Juan Sunday for just the second time since July (I had a stress fracture and have been laid up). After dialing in the depth and the pattern (DEEP and San Juan worm sz 16), I explored many of the new stream improvements in the upper river, and landed several dozen nice fish. I then came across a large deep hole that had 3 currents entering, and one leaving (upper braids area). Starting with the far outside seams, I used a #4 AND #2 weight to get the rig down. I landed a couple of nice fish before starting on the inside seams. I caught LOTS of smaller (7-9 in) "stocker' rainbows. After a dozen or so, I noticed a HUGE fish start chasing down the hooked little guys, about every 6 or 7 hookups or so. Changing to the largest streamer I had (about 3" long), I only hooked more little guys. So I changed back to the SJW but changed the sz 22 lower fly for a sz 16 red larvae (think stinger hook). The big fish continued to chase the smaller ones around, and after several dozen hook ups, the huge rainbow grabbed a stocker, sideways in his mouth. I carefully tried to land the big fish, and when he finally got too close to the shallows, he let go of the stocker, and the upper (SJW) stuck into his upper lip !! I netted the huge 28" male rainbow, and released him back into the hole. I have had a few unexpected grabs at a hooked fish over the years, but never have I intentionally targeted a big fish this way. It also confirms my belief, that the stoking program serves to feed the really big fish of the San Juan. All in all, the fishing on the San Juan is spectacular right now.
herefishy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fun - I had this happen in Idaho with a Bull trout once - shocking. Only I didn't hook him, just pulled him around a little and he turned loose. Might have been interesting if the game warden was around.
GMflyfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few similar occurences over the years.
Once in Ontario, spin fishing, I had a small walleye on and a muskie appeared from the depths to grab the fish briefly.
Another time in Mexico with a bonefish on the line a barracuda hit the bone midsection and I was quickly left with only half a bonefish.
In Labrador one time with a nice brook trout on the line a very large lake trout chased the brookie around the river for a bit, though I don't recall the two connecting.
Last year I had a bonefish in the Bahamas, running around the flats, chased by a small shark. Not an unusual situation. However, the bone swam circles around me, and I was wrapped up in fly line and leader with the shark in pursuit. Fortunately the shark disappeard and I was able to land the bonefish and release it unharmed. Me too - unharmed.
On my local trout stream I have had a big fish chasing a small hooked brown, but I have never hooked a chasing fish, as larryy experienced.
jay100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryy: wanted to thank you for your report. Info was dead on. Never caught anything on a SJ worm until Tuesday....what fun!
Thx again
Franzltoth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job. But how did you had so much guts to face the shark?
Bathroom Vanity Cabinets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: