Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The fishing and the colorful trees are perfect this week
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisheadsofthesanjuan.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: The fishing and the colorful trees are perfect this week Reply with quote

Fishing the midge hatch in the morning with gray midges is very good. The afternoon has been my favorite with lots of fish looking for baetis. Again, gray has been best. The slowest time of day seems to be around 11:00 to 12:00. Cloudy days are still very good so look for the thunder storms in the afternoons. As always a large part of your success will be your in ability to move around to where the hatches are coming off the best. Fish near the dam in the best midging waters to start,most of the midges are very small. I have been doing well with a black larvae or pupa to a gray or olive larvae. Around 12:30 move down to where the baetis are hatching, anywhere from lower Texas hole down to the end of bait water. It has been best to go back to your midge patterns after 6:00. The whole river is fishing well,. The water is very clear, you can see the bottom of the river anywhere you are wading. I am using very natural looking insects, No Flash! You will need to be fishing well to catch a lot of fish as they get smarter with clearer water. Try fishing foam bugs if you are not having any luck.

Best Fly Fishing Techniques & Tips

Fish fluorocarbon tippets at the end of your mono-filament leader when nymph fishing. 5X to the first fly and 6X to the dropper. This will produce more strikes as the fish can't see the fluorocarbon. Fishing 22 to 28 midges in the slower waters has been great, I am no longer using any flash, the water is very clear. Sight fishing is very good. Fish light weight ( a number 6 or smaller ) with your strike indicator 2 or 3 feet above the weight. You don't want to be on the bottom when you are midge fishing. We are finding lots of baetis, especially on cloudy afternoons. Baetis live in fast water so look for them in the riffles at the top of holes and at the bottom of holes in the tail out. Fish are eating gray, olive and brown nymphs in these places, again it just depends on the day so have them all. You may have the chance to see fish on top during this time. A parachute Adams or comparadun should do the job. The may flies are green and are about size 24. Use dark colored wings as the fish are turning away from white wings. If you can't see this try a marker fly about 12 inches above the baetis. You should fish mono-filament tippets when fishing on the surface as fluorocarbon sinks. Change back to midges when the fish stop eating your may flies. Try some bunny leaches if all else fails. Dead drift them like the rest of your nymphs. Fish are eating them for moss! They will shake the drifting moss to get the bugs out. Foam flies of all kinds are producing some great fish. You need to cover lots of water hitting all the fishy spots.
AKman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Fishing the San Juan Reply with quote

Chris, good afternoon:

Thanks very much for the fine fishing report. With your hints and tips, I feel confident that I can step into the river better prepared.

I have seen a reference to a fly called a UFO. Are there any photos or tying instructions for this pattern.

Muchas gracias.

Tight lines and tight loops.

AKman
Vinny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: UFO Reply with quote

AKman,

Try the following using Tan Gudebrod Size A Rod Wrapping Thread:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/jduran/thread_midge.htm

http://www.gbflycasters.org/fly_tying/patterns/Yong%20Special/Yong_Special.htm

http://www.mlsff.org/cgi-bin/Patterns/Recipes/F85/Yong_Special.pdf

You are not limited to this color. I've also used UTC 210 Denier.

I hope this helps.

Vinny
AKman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Flies for the San Juan Reply with quote

Vinny, good evening:

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide with that comprehensive response to my question.

I was confused by calling the fly a UFO. I am used to calling it a Yong Special as indicated in your postings. I wonder why we don't give credit to where it is due, to Andy Kim?

I bought some of Andy's flies and found them to be very effective. Consequently, I find myself at my tying bench trying to duplicate his
miniscule patterns.

Recently, I tied up about a half dozen of the Yong Specials with the intention of fishing them as opportunity provides. One thing I learned from Andy and his patterns, is that he ties them sparsely. So, I drop down to #22 & 24 hooks and use 8/0 brown thread for the body. Am looking for an ample opportunity to field test these patterns in the San Juan. I will post a message on this web site when I get the field testing done.

Thanks again for that generous response to my question. I appreciate the feedback.

Patrick
Vinny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: UFO Reply with quote

Patrick (aka AKman),

You are welcome. I've used different sizes of thread also. I usually use Rod Wrapping thread, UTC 210 Denier and 140 Denier for my Yong Specials. I've also used Madeira thread at the recommendation of Midgeaholic. Iíve had good results with all of these.

Iím not sure why credit has not been given to Andy, but Andy has never come out to say what is so unique about his pattern (i.e. is it the thread, the way it is tied, the proportions, the combined techniques, etc.). You got to have a basis to go by if you want credit. Daveís Hopper is an example. It has been reproduced and modified, but since Dave Whitlock published his pattern, everyone gives him credit even if they modify it a little (i.e. ďbased on the Daveís Hopper, I changed the body materialÖĒ). I think keeping the Yong Special a secret for so long has hurt Andy getting any credit. I know the UFO (also known as the Thread Midge) came out before Fly Fisherman published the Yong Special article. Too bad, I think Andy has a lot to offer the Fly Fishing Community, but for now it is perceived as a secret. In other words, nothing to compare since there is no basis. Take a look at Rim Chung. He came out with the RS-2 and there are videoís of him tying
http://web.me.com/ferencho/RS2/Blog/Entries/2010/7/14_Videos_of_Rim_Tying_the_RS2_and_the_Avatar_Fly.html
He is now getting credit for the RS-2. I hear anglers say that a foam wings are just an RS-2 with a foam wing and both are a very good patterns.

So Iíll say it here. A UFO or Thread Midge is just a Yong Special Ė a very good pattern.

Vinny
AKman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Fishing the San Juan Reply with quote

Vinny, good afternoon:

Thanks very much for the feedback on the Yong Special. I agree with you, Andy keeps his cards close to his chest when it comes to his flies.

I am in the process of trying to imitate his creations. So far, I've been able to catch a few fish on replicas of his patterns. I just need to do some more field testing to see how they work.

I am curious. Where do you find the Madeira thread? I usually pick up thread at Sportsman's or at Los Pinos Fly Shop. Think they will have it stock?

Finally, do you end up tying the midge patterns in all the popular colors like black, brown, gray, olive, and red?

I can swear by the effectiveness of the foam wing patterns. When the midge action slows down around 10:00 in the morning, I switch over to a foam wing pattern. That works so long as the Baetis are popping out.

Thanks again for the feedback on the Yong Special.

Tight loops and tight lines.

Patrick
Vinny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: UFO Reply with quote

Patrick,

I get Madeira thread in Albuquerque at

Bob's Sewing & Vacuum Center
1641 Eubank Boulevard Northeast, Albuquerque, NM
(505) 294-6155
bobs-sewnvac.com
South of Indian School on the west side of Eubank

There is another location in Albuquerque on the west side by Alameda and Coors.

My favorite color for Madeira thread has been "Moss". It's a dark olive-brown color. I haven't been there in over a year.

I've tied Yong Specials in brown, tan, gray, olive-brown and olive (my favorite). Iíve tried black, but I have not had much success. I use the olive-brown instead of black. I have not tried red yet.

Vinny
AKman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Fishing the San Juan Reply with quote

Vinny, good evening:

First of all, thanks very much for the tip on the Madeira thread. We have a quilt shop not far from here. That may be the reference for Alameda and Coors.

I'll give them a call and see if they carry the thread. I would imagine that one spool will last quite awhile.

Do you by chance finish your midge flies with a black head? That would make the body "Moss" and the head black. Also, do you like to put a coating on your midge patterns? How about Sally Hansen Hard as Nails or Flexament?

Thanks again for the feedback. As soon as I can get some of these midges tied up and in the water, I will drop you a note.

Patrick
Vinny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, good morning:

One spool will last a lifetime (unless you are a guide). This why I like the Yong Special Ė it is simple, durable and effective. I can also whip out a dozen in no time.

Yes, I do finish my midge flies with a black head (i.e. "Moss" body with a black head/thorax). I coat the head with Sally Hansen Hard as Nails (I do not coat the body).

Iíve also been experimenting with adding a gray dubbing as the head (instead of the black thread head) on a brown Yong Special tied on a #22 Tiemco 200 hook. I did this to represent a Baetis dun beginning to come out of its nymphal shuck. I gave the pattern a try a couple of weeks ago on the San Juan and caught several fish during the Baetis hatch. I got the idea from an article on Charlie Meckís web site (Brown Caddis Emerger)

charlesmeck.com/a20030800.html - Hopefully this is the right link.

The next time Iím up on the San Juan during a Baetis hatch, Iíll give Charlie Meckís pattern a try also.

As my fishing buddies and I usually say Ė this is going to take some more experimenting and more time on the San Juan River Ė OH DARN!

Vinny
AKman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: San Juan Midges Reply with quote

Vinny, good afternoon on this very pleasant fall day here in the high desert of New Mexico.

I think I have located a source for the Madeira thread that is pretty close to home. Will stop by tomorrow and see what they stock.

I like to use those Tiemco 200 hooks to tie up my gray foam emerger. I've managed to catch and land several nice fish on that pattern.

Have been using the TMC 2487 and 2488 for my midge patterns. It is a treat to be able to catch and land a nice San Juan Rainbow or German brown on a hook that small.

Thanks very much for the feedback and the web site reference. I'll take a peek and see what Charlie has to offer.

Am gong to try and schedule a trip to the San Juan before it gets to frosty. Am anxious to see what the fishing is like with the flow rate at 300cfs. The drift boats might have to get some shock absorbers. Smile

Adios and thanks again.

Patrick
AKman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Vinny, good afternoon on this overcast day here in the high desert of New Mexico.

Managed to find a spool of "Moss" made by Madeira. The number on this spool of thread is Col. 1757. Is the same number on the Moss colored thread you are using?

Thansk for your help.

Tight lines and Tight Loops.

Patrick
Vinny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Patrick, good afternoon;

Yup, that is the spool number. Try it when the Black Midges (sizes #24 and #26) are out.

Vinny
AKman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Quick Question Reply with quote

Vinny, good evening on this overcast night here in the high desert of New Mexico.

Thanks very much for the confirmation! I really appreciate that confirmation.

Now I can plan on tying up a dozen or so midges with this color and plan on testing them out on my next trip to the San Juan. I'll drop a note to this location and let you know how they work out.

Thanks again.

Adios amigo.

Patrick
bubba smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick history lesson.

The UFO, etc. patterns came out in the mid 70's

They were called string things, thread midges, string midges, etc.

and they use the same basic materials we use today.
CaitlinColson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing is real big art and such one not known by everyone as it require lot of skills. People may get such skill and art here and they may become master in fishing. The use of best essays au is real needs one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: