Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisheadsofthesanjuan.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: September Report Reply with quote

The best fishing will be early in the mornings and late in the afternoons to dark. The water is very clear which will make the fishing difficult on sunny days. Cloudy days are still very good so look for the thunder storms in the afternoons. As always a large part of your success will be your in ability to move around to where the hatches are coming off the best. Fish near the dam in the best midging waters to start, most of the midges are very small. I have been doing well with a black larvae or pupa to a gray or olive larva. Around 12:30 move down to where the baetis are hatching, anywhere from lower Texas hole down to the end of bait water. It has been best to go back to your midge patterns after 6:00. The whole river is fishing well. The water is getting very clear, you can see the bottom of the river anywhere you are wading. I am using very natural looking insects, No Flash! You will need to be fishing well to catch a lot of fish as they get smarter with clearer water. Try fishing foam bugs if you are not having any luck.
The last couple of weeks of August and the first couple in September are often difficult as the only bugs that are prevalent will be midges. The fish are eating them well in shallow waters especially over weed beds. I have been fishing very light to no weight with my indicator about a foot or two above my flies. You will see more fish eat your flies than will move your indicator, sight fishing at its best! Keep changing your midges as the fish will get wise to you quickly, black has been my best the last few days. The baetis hatch is getting stronger everyday! Fish small gray baetis nymphs from 1:00 to 5:00 in the faster water. Still plenty of bugs in the bushes so wear your bug spray and bring a rain jacket for the afternoon thunder storms that have been around. Good luck to all the Fisheads out there, Chris

Midge Larvae Gray 18 to 22
Midge Pupa Brown olive 18 and 22's
Baetis nymphs Gray and brown 18 and 20
MIDGES! Black, brown and Gray 22 to 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: