Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip in August

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinnerfall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Trip in August Reply with quote

Hello all! First post here on this site.

I am planning a trip out in Aug 12- 16th. Was looking for some info about the river. How similar is it to the Big Horn? Is it wader friendly.. What sections are better for this if so? can you wet wade this time of year? I do on the Horn. seeing if I need to brinf the waders.

My wife will be joining me so I need a suggestion for place to stay. Nice but not a dive... Trying to stay on a budget you know ...any way middle of the road place would be fine.

What kind of bugs will I be looking for? Terestrials at all? Will I see dry fly stuff or mostly nymphing? Which I dont mind doing at all.
will check on these responses to follow up any other questions.
I do alot of tying so suggestions on patters to tye would be great.

thank you so much for any help.. It is a long way from Virginia so I want to be prepared and ready to have a great time!
Warren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a lot of your questions answered by cliking on "Htaches and Insects" and "Tips and Techniques" on the left hand column of the home page on this site. You can also search past forum entries and fishing reports of past years for the time period you will be on the river. That link is on the "Discussion Forum" page.

There are a few places to stay near the river. Click on the "Lodging Link"
There is a new place that is not listed on that link-Ayala's Lodge" (www.ayalaslodge.com). There are limited (two) places to eat so you might consider on of the places with a kitchen so you can prepare your own meals. I usually stay at the Bestwestern Motel in Bloomfield about twenty miles from the river more choices to eat in Bloomfield and they have cable TV.
karenfilsd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Trip in August Reply with quote

You might want to think about the Octagon Inn. They have a main house with 4 bedrooms, but is like a Bed and Breakfast. So they rent it out by the room. Beautiful kitchen, TV, and all the amenities. They also have a guest house that we have stayed in 4 times. All you have to do is bring your own food. They also have satelite service and a phone. Cell phones don't work except if you go to the top of the dam or the top of the hill going towards aztec. Phone also works in Texas Hole You said you were bringing your wife, this is the place for her. River is very easy to wade. If you have never been there, hire a guide. Jerry's guide service is very good, as is Chris from Fishheadsofthesanjuan. My husband and I wade it all the time and we are in our late 60's. Not too many people in August because it is hot. Another note, bring your bug spray for the mosquitos. Have fun, it is our favorite place to fish.
Karen B
San Diego
spinnerfall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for the quick response. Iwill check that info out. If anyone is coming east to fish I do guide on the ELK river in West Virginia. Great sulphur hatches!! I will help you out in any way. Thanks again
herefishy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome - I enjoyed the Big Horn because there were so many bugs - while there are certainly lots of bugs on the SJ, it's just not like anywhere else - by August you will need to be tying at least size 24, if not 26 midges, and not much else except Hoppers and ants. It will be very wadeable, but don't count on wet wading unless you have very good circulation, as you will get blue quick - temp is around 42. Lots of very nice places, but not much else to do within about 20 miles(to Bloomfield or Aztec).
Enjoy yourself.
spinnerfall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: 24,26 nymphs? Reply with quote

Did you mean 24 and 26 nymphs or dry midges? Pupas, emergers, etc.?
Is there good hopper fishing? If so is there certain section better for hoppers?
herefishy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of the midge fishing should be larvae and pupae - unless you are a real fan of small dry flies. I don't try to fish the dry midges, except midge clusters or Griffith gnats. The larvae and pupae will be size 26-24, as will the dries, or maybe even smaller.
Hoppers will tempt some of the fishies, as well as ants - maybe more downstream of T. Hole than above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: