Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fishing in Abq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snoitcelfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Fishing in Abq Reply with quote

Hello all! I am new to the site.

Does anyone know where I can go to fish in ABQ and surrounding area besides Tingley? I have been fishing on the San Juan, but would like to try and find some place closer to home (and a touch warmer). I can't find any information on fishing the Rio other than my understanding that you fish the "drains" rather than the river itself. I would prefer to fish where I can keep my catch rather than catch and release.

Please correct me if I am wrong and point me in the right direction! I really appreciate any and all help!

Thanks
Jen
snoitcelfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry this may be in the wrong place!
SPIfly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...other than the Tingley ponds, the clearwater "drains" are probably the closest waters with trout that will take a fly. I used to regularly fish the drains west of the Rio Grande in Corrales, and caught many a trout on dries there. However, those are only stocked in the winter months, once irrigation in the Rio Grande Valley ramps up, stocking stops and the drains become muddy and unfishable for the most part. Your next best bets are probably the Jemez watershed and the Pecos river, but they aren't any warmer than the Juan in the winter, as they occur high in the mountains. I've heard (but never tried) that the Pecos River through Villanueva State Park can be productive during the winter months, since its stocked and considerably warmer down there. That is only about a 1.5 hour drive from ABQ. Take 40 East to Highway 3, then north on 3 until you hit the State Park.
fliesby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Burk too and even though the Jemez or Pecos are closer I have found that I would rather spend the extra drive time to be on the Juan. Nothing and I mean nothing compares to the quality. Some people say its to far for a one day fish but its only an hour and a half more than the Jemez or Pecos and your fishing is 100 times better!!
snoitcelfer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses! They are what I expected. I love fishing "the Juan" and would love to go more often, but I had hoped there was some where to fish that we could just run to quick since driving up to Aztec requires a bit of advanced planning (for us anyway).
SPIfly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too love fishing the San Juan. In my opinion, it is STILL a premier trout fishery in the West, despite its obvious decline over the past 8 or so years. However, I'd have to disagree with Fliesby here. The Jemez and Pecos watersheds can provide hours upon hours of hungry, aggressive, willing trout on the end of your line. Its a great way to just "scratch the itch", and I've found on these streams you can be as technical or as simple as you want. You definitely know when you get a strike on the dropper, no need for super fine tippets, 12 foot leaders, and strike indicators like the San Juan. The fish are fun, aggressive and I have caught one 19.5 inch brown on the Lower Jemez River near Jemez Springs. So, yes, if you've always got the extra funds for the extra gas to get up to the Juan, I'd say go for it. But if you've got limited funds or just have 5 hours in an afternoon to kill, the smaller, closer streams can be just as rewarding.
O.a.T.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't disagree w/what is said about fishing the SJ, but when I need a quick fix, I don't mind paying the $20 fishing fee to the Sandia Pueblo C&R ponds. I've had some 15+ fish days there w/some approaching 18". It is pond fishing and I do the best on streamers, but this place can almost make you forget you are just a few minutes out of Albuquerque.

In regards to Tingley, if the trout are uncooperative, I like to take a 2 or 3 wt and play with the blue gill in the C&R pond. They are definitely out in last week with the weather/water warming up. If you like playing with blue gill and bass, I'd also recommend Shady Lakes C&R for $10/day.
MarcoAcosta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Good to see this Reply with quote

As you are new to site, it is very important to read the rules and regulation about using the threads for information purposes. I find rushessay help which guide me the best way of getting engaged in forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: