Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chamois leech??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimosabe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: chamois leech?? Reply with quote

hi guys, is this the same as a SJ worm? or a different pattern?
any link to this pattern?

thanks!!
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimosabe hi, No the chamois leech is made from genuine sheep skin chamois. Simply cut the the chamois into 1/4" width and 1' to inch-inch a half lengths and and tie on to 3x shank # 10 hook(depending on the size you wish to fish). use red tying thread to secure the chamois to the hook. Its a very simple tie. It represents several type s of leeches (flat worms) in the river. Good luck Midgeaholic.
jshin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Midgeaholic, I need a few details on a couple of your ties. First the chamois leech. Do you tie the chamois to the hook with a few turns of thread at the bend and then fold the chamois back to the bend and move the thread to the eye and tie off at the eye? This looks like the chamois would wrap around the hook shank loosely and the loose end at the hook bend would wave in the current. Does this seem correct or am I missing something?

Also your tiny midges, Do you clip off the hackle on the top of the fly or the bottom. It seems to me that the hackle clipped off of the top would cause the fly to float on its side. If the bottom is clipped the fly would sit on the surface. Do you use regular dry fly hooks?
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I usually tie my chamois leeches on 3x shank hooks Depending on the size hook 10 -16 I leave the ends of the chamois to drap free over the bend and the eye about 1/4 of an inch. To secure, I use 6/0 red kevlar thread. Wind the thread on the mid section of the shank front to back. place chamois strip on top of the hook then wind forward to secure. Use half hitches underneath the chamois to secure the thread. For this fly, I use Hard as nails over the thread on the hook shank and some over the thread on the chamois. Secret HA HA: trim the end of the chamois to a point, then, place a black or a dark brown dot or spot on the tip of the chamois both sides. Try gathering a sample leech, and dying the chamois to the color of the natural. Both techniques are very effective(colors). When I used leeches on a regular basis This was a killer tie.

2) Trim only the hackle on the top of your midges. Flare out the hackle fibers before winding. Midgeahloic Smile
bel1a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helow Wink i like it. keep it up Smile Very Happy
pakerjon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Nice post... i like it..
Smile Cool
Naveed123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: poosting coomments................ Reply with quote

use red tying thread to secure the chamois to the hook. Cool

---------------------------
pass4sure pass4sure 640-461
leather4sure-bomber jacket women leather4sure-bomber jacket women
leather4sure-womens motorcycle jackets leather4sure-womens motorcycle jackets
leather4sure-leather shirt leather4sure-leather shirt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: