Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scuds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
macdaddyof8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: scuds Reply with quote

Hello all, and thank you all for your time and patience from a newbie. I did not make my trip up to the San Juan this week due to my daughter needing eye surgery. That also was canceled so I fished locally here in the Albuquerque, Corralles area. I took some more specimen samples from the streams and see that the scuds are still almost transparent. They are also just about microscopic. In the net they are about the size of This letter O . In a white bowl they uncurl a little and are about this big oo . If your font size is the same as mine these sizes are actual, I traced them from scud shadows transferred onto paper through a class specimien jar. I also got some great damsel fly nymphs to practice matching btw. My question is how do I tie such a miniscule scud pattern without, A: the hook gap either being completely filled with the pattern ( when I try to use beads, or B: The hook being too promenient and seems like theres more hook than scud? I have been trying different hooks and patterns but I don't seem to get good results in such a small pattern. I got tons of strikes with a simple dubbing and scud back pattern wrapped with gold wire for the segments, but only hooked one fish. I might be a little slow on the set, but I think there's just not enough hook gap to dig in. My best rig was this fly fished about 18 inches below a midge cluster for a dry, dropper combo. the fish down here are not holding in deep holes or runs. they are gathering in about a foot of water where there is impossible cover "trees, and brush" or under giant tumbleweeds and stags. I seem to get more strikes with the scuds, but catch more fish with midges, because I can't set the hook with the scud. the water is crystal clear to the bottom of the deepest holes right now, about 8 ft. but overall is lower than usual and about 12 inches average. lots of food in the water, scuds, midges, various nymphs and some type of small " about 1 inch long" dark black forage fish. I haven't got one in the siene yet so I'm not sure what it is. Again, thanks for your time.
mikeytwoshoes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tie up a very simple scud w/ hare's ear dubbing, 6x mono rib and flashabou for the shellback. I've tied them on tmc 2488 hooks as small as #24. I'll check my san juan box to see if there's one in there or I'll just tie one up and take a pic and photograph it later today and post a pic. I've had great luck w/ this fly up in the no kill water above the cable hole.

mgj
fsh2liv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ostrich in light grey for the San Juan. It's soft and easily compresses. Won't effect the gap much and makes nice legs. Shell back of grey, very fine silver wire for segmentation. Use the smallest herl you can find.
Drifter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Scuds and Ostrich Herl Reply with quote

Bravo to the ostrich herl. 2488(H) are great hooks because of their strength and wide gape. Also, try widenning your bait. I tie the ostrich onto the hook on the far side and the mono or wire on the near side, even with each other, and in a lateral fashion. This will create a wider, flatter body. It gives a more lifelike sillouette and keeps the gape open for grater hooking capability. Pete
mikeytwoshoes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

additional good advice vis a vis the ostrich herl.

simple san juan scud - #20
macdaddyof8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for tips. I'm setting up the vise right now. I reall like the compact look of that pic. I'll shoot for that. This is a great site!
Winston590

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Ray Charles Reply with quote

A popular fly at the Big Horn is called a Ray Charles. I use it at the Juan and hook fish in the cable hole area. It is a scud hook wraped in Osterich with a pearl mylor tinsel back. Super simple to tie.

Try this link for the recipe and pictures.

http://groups.msn.com/TheFlyFishingBug/flyofthemonth.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=4141&LastModified=4675486961823526435
chewydog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cool looking scud. Might be tough in smaller sizes.

http://www.flytyingclips.com/scudflip.html
Pagosa Dave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Ray Charles Reply with quote

Charlie just posted the Ray Charles pattern on his web site, www.charliesflyboxinc.com with listed step instructions for tying it. That pictured scud looks great! Might be good in the Animas in town!
milanabeautygirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read that I can pay someone to do my assignment for me I didnít believe it but it really turned out to me that yes this is the place where I can pay someone to do my assignment for essay writing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fly Tying All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: