Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sage Launch Rods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macdaddyof8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Sage Launch Rods Reply with quote

Greatings most excellent fly anglers!

I am considering buying a Launch #3 7ft. 6in. rod. Has anyone fished one? Any Launch rod at all? My "daily driver" is a XP 590. I love it. but I also like my sons 6 ft. #4 tfo up in the brush and trees of the jemez. I think I would like a little lighter and longer than the 6 ft. #4. I just can't own a korean rod. I would like to here from anyone that's fished the Launch rods of any size.

Thanx
DryFly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the TFO is a wonderful little rod if you can get one that is put together right. I had Cabellas send me 4 of them and finally gave up because each one had serious build flaws, e.g. extreme doglegs (2), weak cork around the hood for the reel seat (1), misaligned guides (1).

My buddy in Woodland Park got a keeper on his first try and put a #3 SA Trout Mastery WF line on it, a small Lamson reel and it's a totally awesome rod to fish with. If there are places in ABQ where you can inspect the rod before buying it, that would be my suggestion.

Myself, I went for the Sage SLT 4 piece 7 1/2 foot for a 3 weight after trying several others and being equally dissatisfied, and can't say the SLT is winning any awards with me to this point. I need to run a WF line on it though and see if that doesn't improve things. It's much, and I mean much slower than the TFO in action and I'm not real fond of that. I'm getting accustomed to the way it casts now, and finding it a bit more pleasurable to fish with and will just have to use it over time to know the real story.

You're going to find that there's not just a ton of manufacturers out there that make a 7.5ft 3 weight, especially in the 2 piece format which I highly prefer over the 4 piece.....I know that may be controversial, but just my take. Hope this helps. DryFly
Drifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Buying Rods Reply with quote

Bought a lot of rods: me, kids, wife, gifts, etc. I have also made a lot of my own. The best deals on Sage I have found are from Kevin at Rio Grande Anglers in Creede, CO. He will do all the details, including shipping it to you. He is a true professional and will cut you a screeming deal. Tell him Pete and Dan from Chimney Rock recommended him. Pete
letitfly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Sage Launch Rods Reply with quote

Since the previous replies have skirted the question, I will attempt to answer more directly.
I have not fished the Lauch rods, but after reading your post I grabbed a 376 off the rack, strung it up with a DT3 line, and took it out to the parking lot for a "test drive".
I was reasonably impressed with its performance. I found it vaugely reminiscent of a 7'9" 2 wt. Winston LT that got boosted from my pick-up a few years back while fishing the Pecos.
It loaded nicely will very little line out, and was accurate out to about 40 ft.
(no wind whatsoever)
I would say it has a traditional dry fly action and flexes well beyond the middle of the rod.
Since so much about rod selection is subjective, any info is just opinion.
You just have to check it out for yourself.
For my part, I would fish this rod under the right circumstances i.e. light or no wind, dry fly or dry dropper rig, small stream.
Small brookies an cutts would be a kick in the pants.

"Pops"
Stimmy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Rods Reply with quote

I wondered if anyone was going to answer the guy's original question. By the way, Pops has both the Sage line and TFO. He is a shop owner who really lets you "test drive" the product.
macdaddyof8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: thanks for the input Reply with quote

I appreaciate all the input I can get. Pops...Sounds like you got a cool shop. The conditions you state are exactly the place I'm talking about the rod for. The small streams in the Jemez are almost always free of wind down in the trees and brush that the browns seem to live in. I'm gonna test drive one next week here in Alb. at Los Pinos flyshop. Nice folks there too. btw... they put a new tip on my old work horse xp when I broke it and it's good as new. It's just to long and too heavy in the brush and canyons. A huge fish from these canyons is 14 in. with about 5 of it head. lol. Pecos is a little better but much more crowded. Great spot and stalk country though. Lots of fun. very challenging. If I get up in your neck of the stream I'll be sure and check out your shop.
macdaddyof8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention that the two piece is important to me. Like dryfly was talking about. I fish alot at lunch so the fast take out and put away is important to me. I fish under trees and brush with small dry droppers for 8 and 10 in. fish way more than I get up to the San Juan. I enjoy the spot and stalk. Most of the time I only have 6 in. to a couple feet of fly line out. That's why I'm considering the lanch with another cortland current reel.
RipLip

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Daddy,

I recieved a 3 Wt 7'6" TFO as a gift this year and its great. I have been looking at maybe picking up a 4 Wt 8' or there about Sage Lanch or Fli so if you would let me know if you would your outcome and why. The TFO is great but I find myself needing a lil more rod at times. Thanks
fish4fun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: cool rod Reply with quote

i had an oportunity to fish that rod my buddy who owns it does the same that you are planning the small stream fun

it is a very soft rod with a good mid flex. for longer casts you need to be paitient and wait for the rod. great for drys very similar to the TFO
if you have a nice easy stroke this rod will coast with you. it would be a good sight fishing rod on the juan a little soft for deep chucking

i was fishing a large slick on the green with size 22 drys and having a blast out of a boat

i did break the rod though from forcing some longer casts it slide out of the ferral and broke completely my fault.
good news was he had a new one in two weeks
i really liked the rod
fish4fun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: tfo Reply with quote

i was refering to my tfo three weight i which is a four piece and really soft mid to full flex i liked the sage better it had a lighter feel in your hands
macdaddyof8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a chance to check out the 8 ft. #4. I liked it alot and it was on sale $50 off. Just not enough funds to make the purchase, and I'm still stuck on the 7 ft. 6 in. #3. I'll pick it up in the summer and let you know how it fishes. It casts just fine for what I intend it to do and feels great for those side ways casts to get under the brush.
Champion1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have been looking at maybe picking up a 4 Wt 8' or there about Sage Lanch or Fli so if you would let me know if you would your outcome and why.?????
pistol pete

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Sage Launch rods Reply with quote

I currently own a Sage Launch 590, to be honest I haven't had very good luck with it at all reel seat has fallen off twice already. Sage doesn't seem to care. Last fall Tip broke as well. Wont buy another Sage.
Igsvxxslo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good post which I really enjoy reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.
192.168.l.254
pihax

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rods for the fishing of the preview to fly fish can grab by the wire of the warms to feed the fishes among st the rods grips. To the introduction while write my paper reviews these rods are productive of the sage plants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: