Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rainbow Lodge Fishing Report May 8, 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Resolution Guide Service

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Rainbow Lodge Fishing Report May 8, 2014 Reply with quote

The San Juan continues to impress this spring! We are experiencing the highest average catch rates that I can remember. Stream improvement projects headed by the New Mexico Game and Fish department in recent years are paying off with better fish and insect habitat. Plus, the heavy stocking of rainbow trout during the last couple of autumns has contributed to again make the San Juan a spectacular fishery.

Good midge hatches are taking place almost daily from daylight to 10:00 or so. Light-colored pink eggs, trailed by a red larvae, fished under a strike indicator on a traditional San Juan rig will put plenty of trout in the net on most mornings. For those folks who don’t like to fish egg patterns, or if they are not producing, try a double larvae rig with a red one up top and an olive or grey one on the bottom. The olive-colored larvae has been hot, but grey seems to be working better for the past few days. Try size 22 thread midge larvae or size 22 grey Big Macs. I have also been having good luck on black scintilla midges in size 24 from mid-morning until early afternoon.

Baetis are hatching most afternoons, especially when there are a few clouds in the sky. If you see baetis on the water, switch to a mayfly pattern. I have had more strikes on grey Fluff Baetis than any other pattern. Size 18’s and 20’s have been the best matches for the bugs that are hatching – they are a bit larger than usual.

During lull times between hatches, grey WD 40’s are fooling quite a few fish. I like size 20 in a regular WD 40, or a size 22 in a flashback.

Black wooly buggers are still catching trout in slow – water areas, and it seems more fish are feeding on top lately and will eat Griffith’s Gnats or Parachute Adams.

I am very excited about the month of June since the Bureau of Reclamation has stated that there is no big spring release scheduled for this year! We generally have great hatches in June, and thus great fishing, but high water makes some areas of the river inaccessible on foot, and limits drift boat fishing a bit also. With no high flows this year – June might be the banner time to fish the San Juan!
steve@sanjuanworm.com
Jmildedo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: VVS Reply with quote

Some of the reading was not bad. You may learn more.
Biosgues

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it must be subject to the other, of course.

ibcbet mobile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: