Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Curse of Bubba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: The Curse of Bubba Reply with quote

I posted this story on another forum, but I thought I would share it here also...

Here is a story and fishing report of my boys and I San Juan River fishing trip on Oct. 1 and 2.

I have three sons ages 18, 14 and 10. We arrived at the Texas Hole parking lot and the boys wanted to explore the Braids. I haven’t fished the Braids since the habitat improvements were done last year. While we were getting ready, Bubba Smith came along and we struck up a conversation. He noticed that I have my boys wear floatation vests (if you are interested, the vests have mesh tops and look like the following in dark green - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Cool-Mesh-Flotation-Vest/730754.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfloatation%2Bvest%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D12%26y%3D10&Ntt=floatation+vest&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products). I’ve had my boys wear these vests ever since I started taking them up to the San Juan. Bubba thought it was a good idea. You would think that us older anglers would do the same, but even if we fall in, we would never admit it. I informed him that my younger son has not fallen in the river yet. Bubba informed me that he will, give him time. Bubba then invited my younger son over to his boat. He called my son “Little Dude.” He told his clients that he needs to outfit “Little Dude” with some proper flies. Bubba gave him three Toons (Cartoon Hopper - http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0K8R&dir_id=1236&group_id=1240&cat_id=5839&subcat_id=7162) and told him to never connect this with any leader tippet less than 3X or the fly will snap off. He then told my younger son, “Remember Little Dude, nymphs are for Wusses.” Little Dude thanked Bubba and came back ready to go fishing.

Oh, before you ask, the reason why my boys can go fishing with me during school days is that we home school. I have a good relationship with their teacher. I was able to convince my wife I should be able to get permission to take them on a field trip for some

Biology lessons (bug collecting & fish behavior)

Math lessons (leader length, tippet diameter, weight sizes, hook size & fish size – always round UP)

Art lessons (Fly Tying)

P.E. (walking while negotiating slick rocks, casting, weight & resistance - hopefully a fish and not a rock)

Geography lessons (were the restrooms are located from Albuquerque to Navajo Dam)

Fictional stories (ahem).

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

My sons had a great first day in the Braids. We caught over 60 fish between us, with a majority being between 8” – 12”. About 8 fish were 18” and over. The best was 21” caught by my 14 year old son. However, we “Wussed Out” and used red larvae patterns. “Little Dude” was commenting on using the red larvae instead of a dry fly and all of a sudden – SPLASH. He had stepped into a hole and got the left side of his body wet up over his shoulder. My 14 year old declared this as the “Curse of Bubba” for Little Dude using nymphs. By the way, the floatation vest helped Little Dude regain his footing so that he didn’t get soaked. So that is how the first day ended.

The next day we were in Abe’s checking out when the people behind the counter asked Little Dude how he did. He told then that Bubba called him “Little Dude” and gave him three dry flies. I then told him to say what Bubba told him. He spoke up in a loud voice and said, “Nymphs are for Wusses”, and everybody started laughing. I saw some anglers picking over the flies at Abe’s pause and get a strange look on their face. Obviously they were picking out nymphs to fish that day.

A little later, we were down by Baetis Bend (Munoz Parking Lot). We didn’t do as well in numbers, but we each caught around 8 fish, except for Little Dude. Little Dude must have lost about 12 fish. The fish we did catch were in the 14” to 19” range with a some browns down in the 8” range. Little Dude finally decided to use one of the Toon’s that Bubba gave him. However, Little Dude also decided to hang a red larvae pattern off the bend of the Toon. Within two casts, he caught a 15” Rainbow on the red larvae. He didn’t get much more time with the rig since we needed to head on home (just when the fishing got good – figures). You see, the teacher gave us a Porch Pass, as Bubba describes it, in which you better be back on that Porch when the pass expires. The real reason for the expiration was the boy’s teacher wanted to have dinner out that night. On the way back to the van, “Little Dude” commented that it was a good thing to hang the red larvae as a dropper off the toon when and all of a sudden – SPLASH. Yup, he fell in again, but not as bad as the day before. He only got his left arm wet. Before his brother could say it, Little Dude said, “I wussed out and got hit by the Curse of Bubba again.”

Well there you have it – The Curse of Bubba. Do not go around degrading the Dry Fly, especially Bubba’s Dry Flies.

Vinnie

Remember, just don’t teach your kids Catch and Release, teach them to Catch, GLOAT and then Release!
:wink:
Howely

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get 50K Free Instagram Followers

Try to restrain your major gaming to only one kind of machine. Buying all the major consoles plus a gaming-worthy personal computer can cost up to thousands, just in hardware. Yet, most big titles will be available on almost all of them. Choose one platform to stick with for savings.

Best Facebook Auto Liker – Get Free 1000 Likes On Photos

Even if you have an aversion to using cheat codes or walk throughs with video games, you may find a little of research helpful with many types of games. Role-playing and strategy games, in particular, very complicated tactics and strategies. Don't feel bad about looking up the info you need to master these advanced gaming moves.
rianrtune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are sharing their thoughts and experiences by posting their stories. You can also get the advantage through best dissertation review that can be easily adapted through this purpose.
FrankJScott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Very nice topic, so kudos to you for the effort! Reply with quote

Big fan of this blog Smile I recommend useful articles like helpful site , click to read and visit this website , not to mention weblink on Mastiff types and click over here now . Also worth checking out are articles such as like this , he said and find more as well as redirected here about Mastiffs and have a peek here . Also worth a look are view it now and click to read . Check out check this , my website and more help together with here are the findings and i thought about this and articles such as content , anonymous and official site , alongside related site and see and finally websites on Mastiff types . You might also like this link and see here now as well as get more about Mastiffs and here are the findings and don't forget find out this here , navigate to this website and go to my blog . Other good ones are visit this link and over at this website alongside articles such as my blog , review and my latest blog post . Moreover there's address and like it and finally visit your url , check my reference and source .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: