Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animas updates? sept 10, 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nympho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Animas updates? sept 10, 2007 Reply with quote

I am somewhat new to the flyfishing but loving the heck out of it. I wish I knew how to fish the nymphs and midges better but I'm trying.

I have been down on the rez last few days, nothing big, one nice 15 inch bow on a caddis emerger and the fattest 12 incher I ever caught in my life on a caddis dry.
Other than that, lots of stockers on beadheads and nymphs, especially red ones. Just can't find the big ones, any tips? Also tried a yellow flashy streamer, had bites but no takers.

Fished up by Walmart one day and didn't catch anything.
Anyone else having success?
DurangoSteve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tribe stocked back in August, so you have to get thru a LOT of little guys to find the pigs. It's almost BWO time, so look for hatches mid-day. I'll be heading down to the Animas shortly to test the waters, so to speak. I'll post what I find.
DurangoSteve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Animas update Reply with quote

Fished the Animas on Saturday with reasonable results. Didn't see and BWOs in the air, but the fishies were showing interest in my RS2s. Didn't slay 'em, but did manage a coupla nice rainbows and some medium browns. C'mon BWOs! Ready to throw some dries!
nympho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Sept 30 Reply with quote

Went out Sunday afternoon, figured I would try the new Dallabeta Park, only caught one on an egg pattern, but a very nice bow, about 16-17 inch range, nothing else though. I figure this might be getting hit kind of hard.

Only stayed for about an hour, then headed down to Res water and caught the normal stockers on a prince.
Sasquatch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished the Animas today from 12:30 until 2:00. I had good luck with #18 PTs and landed 5 fish in that time. I was just out testing my new 3 weight rod and was surprised to land two nice rainbows in the 17"-18" range. The other three fish were 13"-15" (two rainbows and one brown). I saw a few stocker sized fish darting around the shallows, but didn't hook any of them.

My new rod is awesome! It is an Echo2 rod by Tim Rajeff (7' 8" 3 wt) and I have it mated to a Ross Rhythm reel. This is my first rod from his line and I couldn't be happier with the performance for the price (no, I don't work for the company). I thought this rig would only be good for smaller streams, but after today's success I have the feeling that it might become my "go to" Animas setup. Too much fun!

Very Happy
Wad-O-Moss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man don't try to fish the Animas above Silverton Shocked
john channer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Animas above Silverton Reply with quote

Wadomoss;
Why not? I fished it a month or so ago and, while not great, there were a few brookies scattered here and there. Generally speaking, if it was easy to get to from the road, there weren't any fish, but that's true for anywhere.
john
Wad-O-Moss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I was up between the ghost towns of Eurika and Animas Forks. The water is an ugly pale blue and I figured the water was just too mineraly. I will give one or two of the feeder creeks a shot this weekend. Let me know if want to tag along. Scott
nympho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Oct 11 Reply with quote

I couldn't resist and went out on the 11th from about 2 pm until 4:30 on res water.
You could not of asked for a more beautiful day, the weather was perfect!
ON top of that I caught somewhere between 12-15 fish, lost about 5 with the biggest caught at 15-17 inch rainbow off a brown san juan worm, 3-4 at the 12-14 inch range and the rest from 8-12 inchers.

Seemed like whatever you put on they were biting!
Hares ear, PT's, egg patterns, sj worms
Didn't try any dries, just nymphing, great time too!
john channer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
Sorry I missed your post earlier in the week, I already got myself into changing the sliding glass door on the back of the house out this weekend. Did you try to fish up there? I was below that by a mile or two, tho there could be enough feeders putting cleaner water into the river to make a diference. Anyway,good luck.
john
Wad-O-Moss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, The fishing MAY have been good but I decided to go snow shoeing on Red Mountain Pass instead. Winds up to 40 MPH and snowing heavy. Should have gone to da Juan.
john channer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: snow shoeing Reply with quote

Scott;
You crazy nuts man!<G> SS season will get here all too soon, why go looking for it when the weather is still fine for fishing?
john
xesiwe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

It has been managed for the flow of the products for the indviduls. The manners of the concept and free essays uk have been done for the use of the fluctuations or the candidates.
SherellDavis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this rig would only be good for smaller streams, but after today's success I have the feeling that it best family practice doctors near mer might become my "go to" Animas setup.
SherellDavis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been down on the rez last few days, nothing big, one nice 15 inch bow on a caddis emerger and the fattest 12 incher I ever caught in https://chinesebuffetnearmenow.net/chinese-takeout-near-me-foods/ my life on a caddis dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: