Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gov's Action Kills Habitat Improvement Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlfmoffatt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Gov's Action Kills Habitat Improvement Project Reply with quote

Read about the latest development in the San Juan Habitat Improvement saga at www.outdoorsnewmexico.com
merc10007

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bummer!
wogger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good/bad thing. It sucks that the washes won't be addressed. I believe that minimal flows no lower than 750 cfs is the most important issue to address.

It is good with respect to the braids. Hopefully the jackasses who proposed changing the Braids will have time to think about how bad of a decision that would have been.

Nothing Makes a Fish Bigger Than Almost Being Caught!
SPIfly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that is depressing. Especially when he needs nowhere near 468 paid political appointees. Returning favors is a huge problem in NM politics, and politics in general. Typical politician.
herefishy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost track of the thread describing the changes in the braids, can you revisit this project?
Vinny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Gov's Action Kills Habitat Improvement Project Reply with quote

herefishy,

Here is my understanding as to what happened after the Governor initially dedicated $250,000 for San Juan River Habitat improvements:

NMDGF had meetings with two separate San Juan Working Groups in June and the groups identified two areas which may need restoration (i.e. Rex Smith Wash and Braids). NMDGF then did the following:

1. NMDGF put out “Bids” to Engineering Firms to minimize Sedimentation from entering the river via the Rex Smith (Kiddy Hole) Wash. The current idea is to place a barrier to divert heavy sediment into an area between the parking lot and road to the Dam. They may not be able to stop all the sediment, but they are thinking the sediment that reaches the river will be the stuff that floats and can be flushed by the river (even at 500 cfs). Even though these are the current thoughts, NMDGF certainly wants the Engineering Firms to put some thought into other options to ensure we get the best possible solution.

2. NMDGF put out “Bids” to Engineering Firms to increase the water depth and flow in the Braids. The current idea is to increase island width and omit dead water. Along with improving the fish habitat (i.e. more water depth and flow), increased flows through the Braids will help flush sedimentation coming in from the Rex Smith Wash. So this will tie into the first “Bid” above. Again, even though these are the current thoughts, NMDGF certainly wants the Engineering Firms to put some thought into other options to ensure we get the best possible solution. NMDGF wants to ensure the braids functioned as well at low flows as at high flows.
Based on studies done by the Engineering Firms and NMDGF, there is a chance that the best solution would be to do nothing to the Braids.

Here is what happened to the original bids:

Of the six firms requested to bid only two provided bids. These two bids were fairly widely divergent in their costs and one exceeded the limit above which NMDGF must go to a formal RFP. Therefore, in an effort to ensure the broadest possible solicitation and to ensure the most qualified firm is contracted, NMDGF elected to pursue a Formal RFP. However, as you have seen, the money has now been taken back by the governor and there will be no Formal RFP (for now hopefully).

That is how I've seen it from my observations and communication with NMDGF.

Vinny
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: A stamp designated for the SJ only Reply with quote

I put forth this idea sometime back. A special stamp designated for the San Juan river only, just a few bucks and the river can have lots of capital for improvements. This can be a reality if everyone got behind it. Yes, it would take oversite groups etc..., midgeaholic
Vinny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: A stamp designated for the SJ only Reply with quote

Midgeaholic,

Rudy Rios asked me to be part of a presentation for the next Nov. NMT General meeting. He asked me to update NMT on the latest activities for the San Juan (I think Marc Wethington and other NMDGF people will be there). I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask:

1. On anothe ifly4trout post, you mentioned that saw many more fish in the areas that were devoid of fish for quit awhile. Could you identify these areas?

2. Are there any subjects, issues or conditions that you or the San Juan Foundation would like to relay to NMT about the San Juan River (Obviously a San Juan River Trout Stamp is one)?

Thanks

Vinny
Boris Matushevsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: All time best Reply with quote

Yeah, you are right in this busy era people prefer to processed food which is very dangerous for health. Find many health tips from https://topamericanwriters.com/essaylab-org-review/ source it is good source for such things. They should prefer to eat cooked food which is healthy and yummy to eat as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: