Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our Trip 2/16-2/20 Fishing Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBassTuber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Our Trip 2/16-2/20 Fishing Report Reply with quote

Spent 3 and a half days fishing. We did not catch many, only 13 fish, only one was under 18 inches, and only 2 were under 20 inches. I lost a fish on Tuesday that was into my backing before it occurred to me to chase it standing in awe at the speed my line left. Needless to say that fish did not come to net.
We fished mainly big stuff, olive olive /green wooley buggers, white bunny leeches, semi-seal leeches in black and brown. One or two came on crystal bead head zebra midges, foam emergers and a red annelid.
It was a great time fishing, wish there was more water, we fished 90% of the time in the upper flats, 15 minutes and a couple of ponds upstream of the parking lot.

I personally fished a light pink # 16 egg 18 inches above the bigger fly, mostly a olive colored bugger with one #6 split shot 8 inches above my top fly. I used a "Pop Top" stick indicator in the small size 6-8 feet above my bottom fly. All on 6x. NONE of the strikes I had were the least bit subtle on the big flies. The big key was a drag free drift. I lost a couple of real nice fish that simply shook their heads and spit the hook.
Two of the days we battled the wind and it was frosty in the mornings.
Most of my hits came on drifts that were no more than 12 -20 feet out, one fish hit nearly at my rod tip in knee deep water. The seam we fished was maybe forty yards long, 10 yards wide and maybe 4 feet deep.

We do not fish for numbers or size, only for fun. Last year even with the high water we caught many more fish than this year, but I surely treasure the time I spent battling the few big fish I caught this year.

Next year who knows.....
wogger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: fishing report Reply with quote

AZ,

I always think it is weird when people track how many fish that they catch. You mention a number at the beginning of your post, then at the end you say that you do not care about numbers or size....funny???

In all of my years of guiding in Colorado, there was only one time with clients that I knew exactly how many fish that were boated. It was a trip with a former NFL coach who is now a major Nascar team owner. Frankly it was not something that I enjoy to hear all day on a float trip. In the end the score was 24-17 and Joe won. Big freakin' deal!!!!

Just relax and have fun!!!!!

Nothing Makes a Fish Bigger Than Almost Being Caught!
Rice Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ,

Thanks for the update. Good report and thanks for the weather info as well. I'm headed up in about a week and trying to figure out what to wear.

It's odd, I've only fished the Juan for 6-7 years, but I've never caught anything drifting a big ole leech. Caught a few by stripping them (or buggers), but never just on a dead drift. I hear people do it all the time, though.

Thanks!
AZBassTuber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Sorry if some found my info not as useful as others.... Reply with quote

Perhaps I did contradict myself in my report. Normally we do not count fish, if you ask me how many we caught last year all I could say is lots, but only 2 real big fish.
This year I do have a count, perhaps that is a contradiction, since I said we do not count fish. This year it happened for a couple of reasons. First we did not catch any small fish, only one was a shade under 18 inches.

Maybe because we fished Monday through Thursday and only landed 13 fish for 3 people after travelling from Phoenix 7.5 hours. To some that may seem like not many fish for a week long trip away from home.

But most of all, I can personally say I remember all 7 fish I had on, and the 4 that I landed were the best 4 fish of the fall and winter this year. One of the fish I lost beat me with speed and power, a fish that took my reel into the backing. That was the second best fish of my trip, the top fish was the one I helped my son land, not the biggest by any means, but one my 15 year old managed to catch this year on his own, his own spot, his fly choices.

So yes I can remember all of our fish from this trip as all were very memorable fish.

The rest of the report is exactly what I/we did, how I/we did it and I can even give anyone that wants them the GPS coordinates if they ask. The Semi-Seal leeches were purchased in the White Mountains in AZ. The buggers we bought at our local Cabelas, some of the flies (Bunny leeches and midges)were purchased at Abe's were we stayed, some were the guides. Scott and I fish 9ft 6wt rods from Cabelas, my son 8 1/2 ft 6wt. We all used 9ft flourocarbon 6x tippets with 6x droppers.

I have only fished the San Juan 3 times, no expert by any means, but I hope that some that were thinking about a trip there will go and enjoy the river with or without a guide.

AZBassTuber
Nueces

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report. I can see when you fish that long, you would remember how many fish you caught since the numbers were low - easy to keep track of when you are set on counting. It's when you catch a lot of fish, you can't keep track of them. Sounds like a great time.
fish4fun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a great time, My recommendation for next year is stick and move, fishing in the winter you have a lot more room to move around, and there is good fishing above and below t hole. if it is slow it is not usually the bugs it's just that they are not there. to many people get in a summer state of mind. i imagine midweek you could have had a lot of river to yourself.
Nothing like the juan in the winter, bald eagles the canyons remebering to look up and move around is my advice to anyone in the winter.
lachlanjarvis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous knowledge of the form has been identified for the use of the photos for the humans. The charges have been ensured for the use of the nsw-writers.com evaluates assignment writers in the light of the true intellectuals for the use of the tools and instruments for the humans in life.
Medicalassign12

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Rafael Turnbull Reply with quote

I loved the way you discuss the topic great work thanks for the share. Helicopter Investigation Case Study Help I'm getting excited about this kind of beneficial information of your stuff in the future
Medicalassign12

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not able to finish the writing assignments on time. For some students, writing any writing assignments is able to waste their time Norman Nicholls At Seattle Management Consultants Case Solution This is really a great stuff for sharing. Thanks for sharing.
Medicalassign12

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: PHP Cake Assignment Help Reply with quote

They are not able to finish the writing assignments on time. For some students, writing any writing assignments is able to waste their time PHP Cake Assignment Help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: