Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FISHING REPORT 1-31-09

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DryFly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: FISHING REPORT 1-31-09 Reply with quote

THIS REPORT APPLIES ONLY TO THE SECTION OF THE RIVER FROM THE KIDIE HOLE UP THROUGH THE BRAIDS!

It's the last day of January, sunny moring, promises to be a warm day with little wind....dang! Time to go to the river!!!

Full of expectations of a glorious day catching large trout on dries, I was soon sitting on the bank with my thermometer dunked in the drink watching the mercury slowly dip below the 40deg. mark.....hmmmm, I thought to myself as it settled right at 39deg., now I think I know why these fish aren't real active. In water this cold, I have learned from my experience on the river that fish tend to congregate in the deeper runs and are glued to the bottom for the most part, metabolisms likely grinding down to a mere crawl.

I decided to walk and observe. The water clarity was actually much better than I had expected providing a minimum of 18" and perhaps a bit more visibility. That's the good news.....the bad news is that given such visibility I was able to spot very, very few fish in this area of the river once known for its heavy concentrations of rainbows. Kiddie Hole proper seemed to have the most fish and some anglers were catching a few fish on sub-surface offerings such as red-hots, other analids and egg patterns, but no one seemed to be hooking up with any consistency. A walk through the braids revealed the same sad story previously reported.....there are just very few fish in this part of the river.

In any case, I found sporadic fish up to the surface in the Kiddie Hole and beyond the island, able to entice an occasional rise to a tiny size 24 dry midge pattern, black thread body and cdc wing. Spent from 11am to 4pm on the water, comfortable the whole time as the sun shone warming me, but unfortunately, not the fish nor the fishing!

I spoke with at least 2 dozen other anglers who reported essentially the same story: fishing slow, deeper water, drag the bottom with tiny flashy stuff or eggs, worms etc. I did not venture far beyond the braids upstream. I watched a guide boat circle T-Hole for about 20 minutes get 2 hookups, one looking to be about 8 inches, the other a very decent fish of about 18".

So, the story here is that if you would like to spend an absolutely incredible day observing the wondrous aspects of the river, the beautiful sandstone cliffs, a great blue heron, some of the bluest skies in the world, fabulously flaming bare willows in the late day sun, this is the place for you!!! Just don't expect to catch a whole lot of fish, at least not in this part of the river at this point in time. Give it a few months to warm up and I think we'll be back to far better conditions!

Tight lines,

DryFly
wogger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Fishing Report Reply with quote

Fished the Juan on friday 1/31 and saturday 2/1 with a friend and guide buddy from CO. Weather was great and the water clarity was great about 2 feet or more.

Friday fished up in the upper flats to above cable. Fishing was very good especially for my buddy who was never not hooked up all day. He found the "magic bullets"; micro veiled tangerine Otter's Egg with JuJu's trailing. Juju's were black/red, olive/black, brown/black. Also red midge larvae.

Saturday we fished from above Baetis Bend to about 1/4 mile below Texas Hole. The fishing was unbelievable all day. Fishing deep holes with alot of weight and long leaders had us hooked up all day. No little fish!!

We fished the same thing as friday, except that once in a while we replaced the egg with a #12 white bunny and caught fish on that. After 2 PM, the BWO's started coming off so I tied on a FB Barr's BWO in #22 and the fish loved it.

The only thing that sucked about Saturday was that there were 3 drifties with local guides in them on what looked to be "guides day off" and they were acting like complete assholes. I will not mention their names here, but I know that 2 of them are frequent posters here and on the Forum. Don't be Assholes!!

Even though there are problems on the river, fishing is still great; you just have to fish a little more technical and smarter. Get out of your "box" and explore different water. The fish are still there, they are just smarter

Nothing Makes a Fish Bigger Than Almost Being Caught!
WhoaTrout

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

great posts very informative, as I experienced tough times recently and am just getting out of my box and exploring more. As I have been told stick and move stick and move
lachlanjarvis

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous knowledge of the form has been identified for the use of the photos for the humans. The charges have been ensured for the use of the nsw-writers.com evaluates assignment writers in the light of the true intellectuals for the use of the tools and instruments for the humans in life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: