Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simon Canyon mud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nymphaholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Simon Canyon mud Reply with quote

I was passing by Simon Canyon wash on my way to the car after a great day of fishing with my son up river when I saw what some of you have been talking about. So I took some pictures and hopefully I can post them here as evidence. The river above the wash was clear and below looked a lot like the wash.

Warren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Simon Canyon Reply with quote

This is documented evidence, that many people have observed and commented upon to this Web site, of the disasterous effects Simon Wash and other washes are having on the lower quality water and beyond into the bait section in recent years . NMDFG needs to be encouraged to recogize this fact. Anyone know if the data from the past several years of electroshocking fish surveys the NMDFG conducts on this river periodically are availble to the public? So, do you think they need to conduct one now from the island at begining of the catch and release section downstream, or at a minimum from T-hole down to the gravel pits? Maybe beyond that to the end of the public water? Many people may say, "don'tt ask the question if you won't like the answer," but I think the data will show there has been a decrease in the health of the fishery when that and past data are compared. Many people that fish the river, on a regular, basis recognize and have commented a decrease of the number and size of the fish.
DryFly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Nymphaholic!

Thank you profusely for taking the time to document this travesty. I have seen it all too many times, and offer that you are spot-on in all of your observations and comments.

There are efforts currently underway to provide a comprehensive accounting to the citizens of NM regarding just exactly what you have shown here and asking precisely the same questions as you have about NMDGF seemingly not recognizing this as a major problem. NMDGF has recently, at the last Commission meeting August 21, 2008, provided data to the NM Game Commission that supports an "all is well, anglers are very happy with their experience on the Quality Waters, and basically nothing needs to be done" assessment.

However incredulous those of us who have extensive knowledge of this fishery might think this point of view may be, it is the basis for the management of the fishery by NMDGF and until effectively shown to be flawed, will remain to be. Action by NMDGF is predicated on the basis of need, as I believe it should be. Until need is demonstrated, which hopefully is recognized as part of our mission here in efforts to be helpful, NMDGF will not consider it necessary to change course in management. So, your pictures certainly make a compelling case.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help! I am acutely aware that the discourse on this site travels to points within the scope of NMDGF; I am in hopes that our documentations and information provided will be seen as helpful in creating a clearer, more accurate reality of what is happening on our river leading to the joining of our efforts.

DryFly
nymphaholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Dryfly.
What is not so clear in the pictures is just how thick, muddy, and sandy that water in the wash is. After taking the pictures I waded out into the river at Cottonwood campground to see how it looked up close. I couldn't believe how much mud and grit or sand was in the water. It wasn't just murky like during spring runoff.
I felt sorry for the people who are bait fishermen who had that to fish in after driving from where ever for a labor day weekend. Weather is always something to be considered on a fishing trip but that situation is a disgrace, on a world class river that is advertised as such around the world.
Midgeaholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: HOLY COW Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pics nymphaholic. The really sad part is that until all of the oil and gas tapping the only sanding we got was the occasional summer gully washer that caused very little damage. Now, everything is becoming a destructive mess. This is all the more reason why we need to be heard as a force in getting these entities to clean up this mess and start figuring out ways to prevent any more devistation. midgeaholic
Coreandreson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

If you ask me to write down some comments on your marvelous approach of converting arts into beauty i would only say "what an awesome collection?", keep trying hard to move on and make your own goals regardless of high competition. Once we started assignmentman essay writing service online when we face stiff competition we are thinking to step back to wind up business. We believe that faith in right direction may bring lot of changing thus we did the same and results are now vice versa.
Egocar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same opinion as the topic owner.
เล่นคาสิโน

Last edited by Egocar on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
alimartin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Simon Canyon area can be accessed by Fishermen both from the north and south sides of the River. Access on the north side of the river is from County Road 4280 off of Highway 173 just west of Aztec Bridge. The turn off for County Road 4280 is about .7 miles west from Float 'N Fish and is located on the north side of highway 173. From highway 173 travel north and east 3.1 miles on County Road 4280 (improved dirt road) to the parking lot at Simon Canyon. This parking lot is not a Navajo Lake State Park facility and provides only parking and a small rest room, the parking lot and immediate area is BLM land. There is no drinking water at this location. Occasionally people pitch tents at this location but it is not an improved campsite. From this parking lot a foot trail on on the north side of the river can provide access to almost all of the river to near the dam including ET Rock, Death Row, Baetis Bend, the Lower Flats, Texas Hole and the Cable Hole area. In some areas the trail is difficult due to cliffs rising in many areas directly north of the river. The footpath on the north side of the river from Simon Canyon parking lot to near the dam is about 3.5 miles in length.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: