Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning Modern day fly lines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoFlies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Modern day fly lines? Reply with quote

I have mostly Scientific angler and Courtland fly lines. Does a person need to buy the special fly line cleaner and cleaning pads. I have been placing my lines in soapy water and running them through a wet paper towel. Then I put them in fresh water to rinse them and run them through a paper towel. Please share what you use and why?

Thanks,
Marc Very Happy
Jude Duran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to use any kind of soaps to clean my lines. I use a new product called the Wonder Cloth to clean my rods, lines, and other expensive things I don't want to ruin with heavy or abrasive cleaners. http://www.pinsandfins.com/products/product.cfm?id=4

If the line stops shooting through the guides as easily, I use Scientific Angler's Line Dressing, but any of the commercial line cleaners will help to keep the line supple and floating.

The best thing to do is just clean the line often. Rivers like the San Juan have heavy mineral and Alkalai deposits in the water that leave a residue on your line after only minutes. This will sink the line and leave it stiff after only one season. Great questions!!

-Jude Duran
nymphchukr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Fly Line Cleaning Reply with quote

If the fly lines you are using from SA have their AST Coating all you have to do is run the line through an SA cleaning pad using the "rough" side.No dressing is requiered.Visit the website for detailed instructions and check the flyline box to see if your line has the AST coating.The Cortland lines may require a line dressing.
Tak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nymphchukr,
I use Wonder cloth after every fishing trip to clean up my gear. I found that wetting the cloth with water and then running my fly lines through the cloth cleans the grime off fantastically. I also use it to clean off the grime from my fly rods and it is washable which makes it a very inexpensive product to own. I'm on my tenth washing and like the old battery commercial...it keep right on working. I know that Rio Fly Lines is now going to include the Wonder Cloth in their fly line packaging to help care for the line. I feel that it has extended the life of my fly lines.
My two cents on a great product.
Coreandreson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Comments are here Reply with quote

You have shared nice information about cloth and water lines however Govt. must pay attention to eradicate such issues. I am now working on essay on time reviews which is my core area where I have a solid grip, If someone needs my services regarding content writing, he or she can directly contact me.
Chengers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information here! Really useful in working out what we were getting wrong when we were on our tarmac driveways company. Worked a treat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> General Fishing Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: