Ifly4trout.com Forum Index Ifly4trout.com
San Juan River Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fishing Report-Wednesday February 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tejano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Fishing Report-Wednesday February 22 Reply with quote

Greetings. I'm back for my annual February trip. As a reminder, here are my qualifications: I have none really. I like to fly fish and have fished the Juan twice a year for the last 7 years (always in February and March).

Arrived around lunch time, and went straight to the Braids. I like what they have done to the area. More long runs and good opportunities for sight fishing. I fished several places and was successful (for me) at all of them.

Honestly, I probably hooked 40 fish in the afternoon. Now, 30 of them were those 8 inchers that seemed to be everywhere. Of those, I don't think I landed more than 5 or 6. They were spastic. While it was fun, it became annoying when seeing bigger fish, making a good presentation, only to have those little shavers peck at the fly the entire length of the run. Finally started fishing deeper and that helped. Ended up hooking 10 "typical" San Juan fish. Landed 6. Had problems because fishing deeper I seemed to get hook-ups at the end of the run, so it was hard to set from that angle.

I used the same rig all afternoon. Red annelid and one of Andy Kim's brown Yong Specials.

Will report again tomorrow.

Tejano
Tejano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Tursday's Report Reply with quote

Forecasters were correct. It got windy.

Started out in the braids again. Found a nice rine holding fish and no little shavers. Started with an egg pattern and red larva. At 10, switched to red larva and KF midge. Hooked 3 landed 2. Decent fish. The guys around me were doing well with a red larva. Wind came up hard and fishing slowed down (for me anyway).

Fished Simon Canyon area in the afternoon. A little out of the wind, but it was still rough. Using the chocolate foam wing (not my favorite). Thought it was going to be awesome as the first cast landed a nice one. It was OK, not great. Hooked 4, landed 3. A few bird nests had me re-rigging twice.

Ended the day (last hour) on the backside of the kiddie pool. Good sight fishing. Had a red larva and one of Andy Kim's flies (Yong Flasher). Hooked 3, landed them all. 2 were very nice, like footballs, and the third made a nice run. Caught all on the Yong Flasher.

I may have made a couple "elderly" guys mad. I think if the run is large enough and they are only fishing one side, I should be able to fish the other. I don't think they agreed. My apologies if I violated river etiquette. Would like to fish tomorrow (weather is supposed to be good), but duty calls back in TX.

Hope to be back in a month.

Tejano out.
herefishy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with you, tejano, things are different on the San Juan, and particularly in Kiddie Hole. I've seen as many as 4 or 5 on either side of the run through there, all catching fish and having a great time. Folks just have to adjust their perspectives there.
Rice Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reports! Headed up there this weekend and I hope the wind stays down. I find it pretty hard to get a good drift when the wind is moving your strike indicator up-current.
Sumer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is exceptionally decent and wonderful post.
I am very happy joined this forum.
I like it exceptionally much....!!!!
Thanks alot...

Our Actual Exams and ccna notes gre exam provide Test-king ielts speaking test you 100% pass guarantee. You can get access to and exams. Our Pittsburg State University is also very useful tool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ifly4trout.com Forum Index -> Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: